Monday 20 August 2007

Another DNF at Swanage and hopefully the end of my bad luck!!

I haven't blogged for a while because things have not been going that great. Since Austria ive had to get through a bike crash and food poisoning to get to the start line at Swanage. The crash happened when doing a recce of the course for The Big Woody in September. At the time it didn't seem too serious but it put my knee and shoulder out of whack and has made doing intense sessions difficult but just as I was getting on with it I contracted a bug I think from the local deli as there has been illness creeping up and down the high street where I work and it knocked me for six! I couldn't train properly for a week. So more time on the sidelines.

So onto Swanage. Well my body was working and I was over the food poisoning just, so managed to line up looking forward to one of my favourite races where I have placed 2nd and 3rd in the past and hoping for the win this year.

The swim was the usual fight to get to the first buoy, it seems rather ironic that various people have said lately to me that they have had panic attacks when swimming open water, ive always been extremely confident in water and never had a problem but I got out to the first buoy with the leaders and got hit round the head and my goggles pulled off. I let people swim over me while I re grouped and put my goggles back on but I felt very anxious so I can now appreciate what the others I spoke of have gone through. I got my self together the lead was gone so I carried on as normal but was too far back from the lead group so stuck in no mans land.

Onto dry land and a solid transition and I started to bring the field back on the bike and I think worked my way up to around 3rd place. Going out of Swanage I was confused by a sign making reference to the sprint race that was going on and I took the wrong turning. I wasn't the only person to make that mistake either! Both races were going in the same direction so all they needed was an arrow for all competitors and I wouldn't have even questioned it. My fault though I realise for not making sure I knew the course. I re joined the race and just rolled back into T2 and went for a sausage sarnie by the sea!

I hope my run of bad luck is now over and its back to business.

No comments: