Wednesday 17 October 2007

Not even a puncture can stop me! Another podium, this time in Texas at The Longhorn Triathlon



1st John Phillips, Denver 4:30:40

2nd Liam O'Connell, Houston 4:33:08

3rd Darren Treadaway, Arctic Shorter Rochford 4:34:06

2000 athletes in total took part in the Longhorn festival

This was to be the last big triathlon for the year for me which I only committed to 6 weeks prior to flying out. The original plan was to race the final of the 101 series in Houston in November but this was cancelled due to problems with the course. So fellow tri force member Mark Cathcart who kindly put me up suggested this race as an alternative. My only concern with this was that I had 5 weeks to recover from my efforts at The Big Woody so it was touch and go as whether I was going to get the most out of this race.
On arriving in Austin a week prior to the race it was evident that the weather was going to be a huge factor on race day, it pretty much stayed in the 90's from when I arrived until race day, which was about 5-7 degrees higher than what it should be at this time of year. So I looked at the race as more of a battle of me against the elements rather than the opposition. Prior to the race I made sure that a lot of my runs and rides were in the heat so as to try and acclimatise myself to the conditions and slowly as the week progressed my tolerance to the heat increased and I would certainly go out a week prior to racing should I race in these conditions again.
Before the race not knowing many of the American names I wasn't really sure what expectations I should have so I didn't really have any goals other than to give it my best shot and I would have been happy to place top 10. The race proved a good opportunity for me as a lot of the top guys in the world were of course preparing for Kona the following week, maybe next year for me! It was also the first year they have run this race so the course was untested which meant I could approach it with an open mind and not analyse where I should be on the course at certain times which allowed me to just get my head down and race as hard as I could.
Racing in the pro wave meant that I was going to be given a low start number so after the packet pick up I was given number 13! I'm not particularly superstitious but after what was to unfold maybe I should be. I thought to myself its just a piece of paper with two numbers on it. On entering registration I noticed a guy with a Bedford Classic shirt on! I couldn't believe it ive come half way across the world and there is a guy who raced at Bedford 6 weeks ago, amazing!
Due to the high temperatures and the lake feeling like a bath! the swim was made non wetsuit. Austin Tri-Cyclist kindly lent me an Xterra speed suit to wear for the swim which basically is the closest thing you can get to swimming in a wetsuit without actually wearing one. It must have done the trick as I had one of the best swims ive ever had, which was also due to being able to swim almost every day leading up to the race. The start was calmer than expected and everyone seemed to space out nicely. I went off maybe a little too conservatively as at halfway I decided to try and bridge the gap to the small group in front and caught them with ease. I excited in 5th place and very happy as I was only about 90 seconds back and right up in the mix.
Transition was smooth and it was off onto the bike. My first thought was wow ive got good legs today. I was feeling awesome and trying to hold myself back. It was quite clear that I was reeling the field in and after 5 miles I could see the lead car in the distance and thought its not going to be long before that lead is mine. At 10 miles the lead was very much in sight at 11 miles I was 10m back and ready to become the new race leader and pop my back tyre blew! My first reaction was jack it in, your never going to win now I then started thinking what it is going to be like for the next few weeks at home with people asking me how I got on and finishing the season on a downer. So I had my Norman Stadler moment at the side of the road and threw my toys out my pram and then set about fitting a new tube. The problem I had was that I was sweating so badly that whatever I touched just seemed to slip. I eventually got the new tube in and the race support vehicle arrived and put some air in the tyre and pushed me back into the race Tour De France style! It seemed to be for ever that I was at the side of the road and looking at the results I reckon somewhere in the region of 11 minutes.
I re joined the race from what I worked out later to be in twenty something position and decided just to enjoy riding my bike and the support from the crowd and see if anything was salvageable. I was certainly riding strong and was regularly catching people. The weather was getting hotter and hotter although it was over cast which was a good thing but it was very humid. I finished the bike leg in 14th position and remember thinking to myself while in transition that it would be nice to make the top 10 and that would certainly be respectable.
From the first step I took out of transition I knew that I was running well and it wasn't long before I was running down the first athlete in front. The run consisted of 2 laps partly on road which was quite exposed and tough going in the heat and the other part was on grass tracks with a very steep climb that you had to do twice which most people I ran past were walking! After the first lap I worked out I was in about 7th position and I was flying! I don't think ive even run as well before in an Olympic distance race let alone in a half ironman. On my last pass through the transition area the crowd were really getting behind me and the commentator was going nuts, they must have noticed that I was running through most of the field. Towards the end I didn't really know what position I was in, I was just enjoying the experience. I crossed the line to find out I had made the podium and I took the fastest run of the day by nearly 4 minutes, where did that come from!
So it just goes to show you should never give in. Of course I think I could have won the race and probably should have won it but to go from nearly giving up to making the podium completely turned things around for me. My expectations as I said before were to hopefully make the top 10 so if you had asked before the race if I would have been happy with 3rd then of course the answer would have been yes. It is quite clear there is a hell of a lot more to come. It was a great way to end the season on a high!
A big thank you to Mark for putting me up and showing me the sights of Austin. Its time now to relax and think about where I go from here.......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice write up Darren, I've posted a blog entry here
http://triman.livejournal.com/127069.html
ps FirstDirect was happy yesterday :-)